About "These Are Their Stories"

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Kathryn Erbe: Motherhood Made Her Better

While Kathryn Erbe (Law & Order Criminal Intent) attended the Year of the Mutt-i-Gree gala on Tuesday, January 13 in New York City, she talked with OK Magazine and told them how motherhood has transformed her. Kathryn has two children , Maeve and Carson, with her ex-husband Terry Kinney. She is also a dog lover and the spokesperson for The American Mutt-i-grees Club.

Here’s the excerpt from the article from OK Magazine:


Law and Order: Criminal Intent star Kathryn Erbe, who is the American Mutt-i-grees spokesperson, brings her mutt-i-gree Lilah to the event. Lilah came from North Shore Animal League last year, and now lives with Kathryn, 43, her daughter Maeve, 13, and son Carson, 5.

“Lilah changed the whole dynamic of the family,” Kathryn tells me. “It brings everyone together. She’s this force of love who does not judge, does not get mad … she just walks around and loves all of us. And when my kids are crying, she immediately goes to them. If they’re hurt, she immediately goes to the area where they’re hurt. She’s an incredibly empathetic being.”

Dogs are ideal for kids of any age, depending on the breed, the actress who divorced in 2006 admits.

“It’s good for kids to grow up around dogs,” she says. “A couple of my son’s friends are terrified of dogs because they’ve had bad experiences with dogs. If they grow up around a puppy or an older dog, I think it’s good for them.”

What does she love about being a mom?

“Being a mom has made me just a better person in every way. I’m much less self-centered. My heart grows every day through struggling and love of my kids. It helps balance everything else – the work and the world. It helps keep me grounded and in perspective of what is really meaningful to me. It helps me be conscious of the way that I conduct myself in my relationships and in the world.”

How does being a mom influence the men she dates post-divorce?

“I’m pretty careful about who I associate myself with,” she cautions.




Check out my blog home page for the latest information, here.

Also, see my companion Law & Order site, All Things Law & Order.

No comments: